April 23, 2010

How to use furniture stripper

 Supplies:
Jasco paint stripper, paper towels, rags, putty knife, paintbrush, glass container, sandpaper, electric sander, and gloves

Step 1
 To give this dresser a new stain I needed to get rid of layers and layers of paint and lacquer using furniture stripper. Always wear gloves and work in an open ventilated area, this stuff is toxic, it burns your skin on contact and is not good to inhale. Don't be intimidated to use this stuff, it's easy as pie, this was my first time and it turned out excellent. 

Work in small areas, about one foot square. Shake the can before you use it, but make sure to open it slowly or it will explode in your face. Pour a small amount in a glass container, not plastic it will melt plastic. Use a paint brush and paint on a thick layer, let it sit a few minutes until you see blisters bubbling, then using a putty knife scrape it off and wipe onto paper towels, throw away. Repeat until the whole surface has been done, you may have to do this twice before enough paint is removed. Sand down the surface using an electric sander until the remaining paint is gone and the surface is smooth.

Step 2
Lightly sand the rest of the surfaces, apply a coat of primer, let dry and paint. I used Valspar Sanibel Gray, then stained the top. I used Old Dad's Clearcoat, the best ever but unfortunately they don't make this anymore, luckily my Dad has several cans left of this liquid gold.

Step 3
Spray paint the hardware, I used Rust-Oleum hammered copper for a beautiful rustic finish. I used sand paper to add some distressing and age marks, it really makes the drawers stand out.




20 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I might be using it on a coffee table soon. I have a spray paint question. When you paint the drawer hardware with it, it doesn't chip off with use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy what a great job....I love the hammered hardware it looks great...Great Job what is the next project can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi, I haven't had any hardware that I've spray painted chip. I imagine that it will eventually get worn down, but then you can just spray it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the tips.
    And great job on the dresser - love the hardware!

    Alyssa
    lifeoflyssie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the tips-- i've always been afraid to try a project like this until now! happy just something i whipped up Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dresser looks so nice - love the drawer pulls. Dropping by from BNOTP, #7.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dresser looks great! Thanks for sharing your tips.

    Joy@thriftyparsonageliving

    ReplyDelete
  8. indeed, thanks for the tips - i have just been too intimidated (mostly by the prospect of chemicals) to do any major furniture stripping.

    and can i just say the lines on this dresser are AMAZING?? you did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great tips. Thank you so much for posting this. It really helps to get tips on stuff like this. Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! What a huge improvement!!

    I plan on doing this soon to a dresser I have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just what I need to find today! I'm re-finishing an entry table this weekend (hopefully). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great tutorial- I wish I'd had it when I was stripping a giant armoire! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking makeover...luv the hardware! Hope you have a FUN day:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial, very useful, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good tute--I don't like stripper, but sometimes it is a necessary evil. Thanks o much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so nice and fresh now! I hate stripper, but sometimes you just don't have a choice.

    Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty!

    Thanks for joing Get Your Craft on Thursday! Please join me next week for another great party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tutorial on using Paint Stripper. I love how the dresser turned out.
    Thanks for sharing with us at the POPP.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know that was a lot of work. The piece turned out great and it was worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...